Sunday, October 17, 2010

a little plan for a big adventure

okay, so a loose itinerary for the 2011 Odyssey has been set...

island that shall not be named (january)
brazil (january/february)
argentina (february) - a detour to anarctica may occur if the fates line everything up just right for me
chile (march/april)
peru (april)
easter island (april)
pitcairn islands (april) dropped from itinerary in november
gambier islands (may)
french polynesia (may)
cook islands (may)
american samoa (june)
samoa (june)
tonga (june)
fiji (july)
vanuatu (july)
new caledonia (july)
new zealand (july/august)
australia (september)

some of the decisions regarding this itinerary were influenced by heyerdahl's book. i probably would have flown from easter island to tahiti to new zealand if i hadn't just read kon tiki. instead, inspired by the baddest badass adventurers ever, and game for a few memorable exploits, i have decided to cross the pacific using whatever mode of travel the locals use to get from island to island...this means i may fly, or use a water taxi, ferry, small boat, canoe or just wade across (okay, so it isn't a medieval raft, i am not a badass, just your average non swashbuckling adventurer!) it also means that i will be at the mercy of weather and transportation, so the above dates, loose as they are, may fluctuate wildly.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book when I read it way back when. How did I not know you had a blog? but now that I do, I will be sure to give my suggestions as soon as I have some. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Kon Tiki - read it as a kid. Also read Call It Courage, which is about a Pacific Islander kid voyaging on his own. Very compelling.

    ReplyDelete